Hi all,

> Am 05.01.20 um 18:32 schrieb Mathieu Lirzin:
> >
> > I urge other contributors to join this discussion which is crucial to
> > define our capability to work together as a community and my willing to
> > continue to participate.

I also hope others contributors will eventually join (many thanks to
Jacques for joining!) since this discussion  seems to me to be larger
than a particular feature (component-load.xml): it is about the process
of contributing to OFBiz.

Michael has started to discuss because he had missed the commit which
removes component-load.xml in applications and framework and he claimed
[2] that we didn't discuss in d...@obfiz.apache.org before: completely
true! Why do we need to discuss such an implementation detail? Some
argue that we have to discuss before intruducing any *big* changement
:confused: What is a *big* changement? In software library/framework it
is quite easy to answer: a big changement is a breaking in public api.
So here is the question from Mathieu:

  what is OFBiz public API?

In my opinion we need an answer for this question otherwise we need to
discuss every single changement! which seems to be really cumbersome!
And even if we discuss every single changement how to decide it is good
for our community: *one* other contributor thumb-up is enough? maybe
*two*? do we need to wait forever if others don't care about a
particular changement?

> OFBiz is not just a library or core framework, it is a multi-level project:
>
> * a web development framework
>
> * a web based ERP system on base of this framework
>
> * highly flexible and extendable through various mechanisms.

Like so many frameworks, OFBiz is not different according to this
points.
And like so many frameworks which are extendable we need API to ease
extension.

> To my understanding, if we use depends-on exclusively for framework,
> applications and plugins, this would not be possible anymore.

This is where you're wrong. From the beginning using depends-on in
framework doesn't imply using it in plugins! The thing which drive
Mathieu to revert is that you cannot, in *framework* override depends-on
with a component-load.xml. And here we are with the actual discussion:

1. component-load.xml in plugin directory seems to be feature (nobody
   discuss this point)
2. what about component-load.xml in framework and applications
   directories? is it also a feature (in other words a public API) or an
   implementation detail

> [1]
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Ofbiz+as+a+development+framework+-+release+10.04

This reference is a bit old and stated as wip so I will consider it
as irrelevant for our discussion ;)

cheers,

Samuel

[1]: