I may be beating a dead horse but what Jacopo is proposing and the concern that Jacques raised about resources would seem to fit very well into a sub-project structure. Split these modules out of the main line into their own OFBiz sub-projects where they could attract their own resources (committers even) and would be responsible for delivering modules that worked with the various OFBiz cores that exist.

Let the sub-projects worry about their own relationship to OFBiz releases and release branches. They might just support the released 13.07.xx version, if that is what the sub-project's user community can support or they might maintain 2 versions 13.07 and a 14.xx. that works with a recent version of the trunk. In any case, it would no longer be a problem for the OFBiz core developers and they could release just the OFBiz components that are officially part of the core. Clearly good communication between the core project and the sub-project about release plans would help everyone but the core group would be basically free to release the core as they want and the sub-projects would have to communicate to their uses communities what impact this would have on the users of the modules.

If a sub-project needs a change to the core to implement some feature, they would have to file an enhancement JIRA issue and convince someone to add it (unless they are a committer on the core). If two sub-projects had a compatibility issue, they would at least know who to talk to get a solution.

Ron