I agree with a separate community approach, for these reasons:

The special purpose components started out as little demonstrations of how OFBiz can be extended to role-specific applications. Since then, some of those components have expanded into full-featured applications - so the overhead of maintaining them has increased beyond what we expected initially.

Some special purpose components were included as the result of a community discussion and effort, but others were simply "dumped" into the repository without any discussion or community participation - and as a result they receive little support.

Some special purpose components were created and initially supported by community members who are not around any more.

As a result of all of these things, the special purpose components are not well maintained.

From my perspective, if anyone believes a component needs more attention and would like to develop it further, then they should spin it off to a separate project.

So, instead of having a conversation about how the OFBiz community can better support the Project Manager component, maybe we should have a conversation about how to spin it off to a separate community.

Opentaps started off that way. Initially, it was OFBiz plus additional components: Financials, CRM, and Warehousing.

I think the OFBiz community would benefit if we stopped trying to be all things to all people, and instead focus on providing a sound and flexible data model - combined with robust, reliable services. Special purpose applications, and even presentation layer details can be left to other communities.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com