On 9 November 2012 22:50, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 11/09/2012 10:30 PM, schrieb jan iversen:
>
>  Hi.
>>
>> In order to make life easier (more stable) for translators, I think it
>> would be a good idea to "isolate" developer builds on dev. When we have
>> langauge packs integrated, then we could point to them from l10n, with a
>> thick note, stating they are only there for testing the language.
>>

> I don't know what you mean with this. But I thought of a page like the
> download/other.html.

Sorry for not being clear....it was just because rob wrote, that your page
could be linked to from e.g. l10n, which I dont think is a good idea.

but it might be an idea, for developers to have a page like you suggest.

> It's to get more attention to dev builds. And a little extra "promotion"
> in the kind of a separate download webpage (that is seen by more people
> than the Wiki page) would give more chances for feedback.
>
> However, this is just my opinion and I can live with it if there is no
> majority.
>

>  In order to make sure they dont get distributed "as released", would it be
>> an idea (and is it possible) to e.g. disable the actual "save" (not the
>> button, but the final write call). With such a feature anybody can test
>> (which is the purpose) but it cannot be used as a product.
>>

> Dev builds are different products. So, it don't get installed as
> OpenOffice but as OOo-Dev. This is valid also for the names or directories
> and therefore user profiles. No interference with the production
> installation.

Well I might have misunderstood it, but when I do a "build --all", I end up
with packages that I can install (at least for ubuntu), and they do not
seem so different from an official release package ?

And as I understand it, snapshot build (which is also a kind of developer
version) is made like an installation.

It is very nice for developers to be able to get a version fast, but I
agree with Rob, that such a version could get popular and distributed,
especially with our current language situation.