On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 2:44 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 11/11/2012 Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>> On 11/11/2012 04:22 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>>

>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds
>>> (they are also called "with/without system integration" respectively).
>>

>> OK, I see this note and I confess I don't pay much attention to it, and
>> typically install in parallel for these. But, I keep the same "user
>> profile" if you will, and this doesn't seem to cause problems for me.
>>
>> Right now this note says:
>> "This week's builds are built without system integration."
>> Is the the "normal"?
>

> What is "normal" highly depends on the status of the builds we are
> providing. For ordinary snapshots, "without system integration" is normal
> because they will co-exist with a stable version and be updated frequently;
> this would be the case for a beta release too, but as we approach release we
> will want to test system integration too and the "normal" snapshot will have
> system integration enabled. This is agreed on a case-by-case basis when we
> start building.

Question:  the bugs that we're seeing related to profile
conversion/upgrading, is that something that would only have been
caught when testing with system integration enabled?

Hopefully my point is obvious -- we can't test and find system
integration bugs unless we have system integration builds.   Real
testers today are using virtual machines.  So the install side-by-side
problem is not a real problem.  But not having something that is
as-close-as-possible to what we plan to ship -- that is a real
problem.

-Rob