On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Nov 22, 2012, at 3:50 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>
> <snip>

>>> I think that we will need a new source release - we could call the source
>>> release "3.4.1b".
>>>

>> It depends on what is in the source release.  If the tarball contains
>> only the newly added PO translation files, then it could be called
>> 3.4.1 without any confusion.   Let's avoid any code changes, since
>> that merely complicates future upgrades.
>
> It would need to be called 3.4.1 supplemental language lack or something like
> that.
>
>>> It would give us good practice at voting on a release based on simple IP
>>> scans with RAT and svn diff to prove that the only changes are language
>>> files. We trust, but we must verify.
>>>

>> If the only thing included in the source tarball are PO files then the
>> proof is rather simple, yes?  Just include the PO files, the LICENSE
>> and NOTICE and a README that says to unzip these files over the
>> already released full 3.4.1 source tarball.   RAT scan of the PO files
>> should be easy enough (assuming it understands PO files).  Otherwise
>> we can manually inspect the files for license headers.
>
> Sure - either way it would be a 3.4.1 source artifact.
>
> The README would describe how to put the language pack over the 3.4.1 source
> release.
>
> I'll leave it up to Jürgen to choose a 3.4.1 source language supplement, a
> fuil 3.4.1b source release, or a 3.4.2 source release w/ all that implies.
>
> But in general the supplement w/convenience binaries does make the most
> sense. What I don't want is to see another 3.4.1 source release with the same
> name, that would be wrong.

+1

We certainly need some unique name to call it.  But if we're not
updating the source code (the C++ code) then we're probably not
updating the version number in the Help/About box and in other runtime
metadata.  This is not a revision of OpenOffice.

I really want to avoid needing to introduce new version fields in
Bugzilla, new update service URL's, new upgrade test paths, new
download paths, etc.

So when we talk about calling this "3.4.1b", we need to be clear in
what systems this new name would exist.  We usually rev them all when
we have a functionally new release.  Revising none of them, except the
source tarball, would work as well.

Of course, we can always tell that this is "Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1b
(or whatever we call it) based on the language.  If it is in Danish,
Polish, etc., then we know it is this 2nd release.  (I assuming this
2nd edition includes only the new languages, not a re-release of the
pre-existing ones).