If this is a metric we are interested, we can easily get better ideas of
unknowns with polls.
Though not scientific, its better to hold up claims we have than nothing.

A marketing activity would be to do polls, announce on the download and
home page, and announce via social media updates/tweets.

An example of a poll.  http://micropoll.com/t./KEtFbZQfYy

Why do you use Apache OpenOffice?
A. I saved money, I would have had to pay for an Office Suite.
B. I like this free alternative the most. I wouldn't pay for Office
Software.
C. I like this free alternative the most. I would pay for Office Software
if I had to.

How many computers do you have Apache OpenOffice installed on?
A. 1-2
B. 3-4
C. 5-9
D. 10+

(Not A)'s generally have to pay for multiple licenses.

This gets us closer to cost avoidance, not value provided.  But its another
metric that is also impressive and has strong wind in companies.

Samer