----- Messaggio originale -----
> Da: Joe Schaefer

> FWIW I refreshed my memory about how
> to compute polynomials numerically by
> looking back at my old copy of Numerical
> Recipes in C and it's always considered
> bad form to evaluate the terms individually,
> especially not by using the POWER function to
> do it.  Most of the time you want to
> compute p = c[0] x^0 + ... + c[n] x^n by doing
>
> p = c[j=n];
> while (j > 0)
>     p = p*x + c[--j];
>

> which does the right thing and pulls out
> c[0] when x=0.  Obviously there are overflow
> issues to deal with for large degree polynomials
> and large values of x, but you get the idea.

Ah yes, that's an old numerical trick when n
is an integer. The non-integer case is, of
course, more interesting ;).

What I was noting in a previous reply (to Norbert) is that
you actually never even write x^0, you just write:

 p = c[0] + c[1] x^1 + ... + c[n] x^n

so when calculating the derivative (using the power
rule) you completely ignore the first term as it's a
waste of time (the derivate of a constant is 0).

It somewhat silly (and a waste of time) to write
POWER($A1, 0) in a spreadsheet where 0 ^ 0 is 1.

My HP Calculator does have a valid reason for
setting 0 ^ 0 =1, but it doesn't apply to a spreadsheet
so I will leave at that :-P.

Pedro.