Alexandro Colorado wrote:
From my conversations with other mentors of projects, the degree of
coding expertise is relative, as much of the help needed is to get
around the information that resides on the documentation and such.

We still need one technical mentor able to provide timely advice on the real code and taking responsibility for it, since GSoC has fixed deadlines. It is clear from the current discussions that in this respect we are better-equipped for the "CMIS UCP" project than for "Extension wizard to import table to database". So I'd favor applications for "CMIS UCP" since we can offer our students higher expectations of a successful completion in that case.

This might not be up to AOO alone, a lot of people have experienced
50% - 70% reduction in proposals from last year.

In general, for Apache projects the pattern is that the bottleneck is in the number of available technical mentors: applications and available slots are not so bad (and actually there isn't a decrease for OpenOffice), but finding the right mentors is problematic across all the ASF projects.

Regards,
  Andrea.