On May 9, 2013 6:34 PM, "Rob Weir" <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> I wonder if we can make this be more rational?
>
> For example, the About box currently says: "Copyright © 2012 Apache
> Software Foundation.
> All rights reserved."
>
> That needs to be changed to 2013, right?
+1

> It also says, "This product was created by Apache Software Foundation,
> based on Apache OpenOffice."
>
> That confuses me.  It probably confuses users as well.  Isn't this
> Apache OpenOffice?  Why are we saying "based on Apache OpenOffice" ?
> I wonder if we can simply remove that line altogether.

+1 but the box should contain the name Apache open office.

> (Also, the Splash Screen makes a similar odd statement: "Build
> contributed by member of the Apache OpenOffice community")

I would suggest:

Apache Open Office is created by volunteers.
but I am fine with other texts that are not cryptic.

> Presumably these phrases came from earlier days when Sun or Oracle was
> credited as the "contributor" of the executable.   But I'm not sure
> the distinction is important any more.
>
> The new License button, however, is very nice, giving quick access to
> readme, license and notice.

we should consider having the license en+local for national versions, with
a note that the local version is a translation and the en version dominates.

reasoning, our translators are not laywers and may unvolunterely change the
meaning.

rgds
jan i