On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Rob Weir <rabas...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> it
>> >
>> > I support the doubts of Jan.
>> >
>> > The release notes should be seen as an artifact from a release as they
>> describe this. We can also go that far that we write down the SVN revision
>> number into the release notes. Then they are really tied strictly to this
>> release and nothing else.
>> >

>> And I did not mean to suggest anything else. The wiki page would be
>> tied to a specific version of AOO, a different page for each version.
>> But it would be  updated to reflect the latest info, especially in the
>> "known problems" section.

>> > What about to put a link like this at the top of the release notes to
>> give it more visible attention:
>> >
>> > Text: "For the latest information about Apache OpenOffice 4.0 see
>> >      this related Wiki page."
>> > Link: http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO400_Lastest_Info
>> >

>> Look at it from the perspective of the user. They want one place to go
>> for relevant info related to the release and problems they might
>> encounter. They don't want to hunt around for "old" versus "new" info.
>> Those distinctions are not relevant to a new user.
>>
>> For example, imagine Windows 8.1 comes out and causes a problem with
>> AOO4, but there is a good workaround that could save the user much
>> frustration.  But the release notes don't mention this. They just say
>> Windows 8 is tested. This is not very helpful.
>>

>> > Then new and important / noteable changes can be documented in the (more
>> easily accessible) Wiki.
>> >

>> My proposal was to handle this by keeping the release notes on a wiki
>> page so such changes are seen by users with the least effort for them
>> and us.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> Arguments either way it seems.  Leaving them on the wiki would certainly be
> good especially for last minute changes -- which have happened.  I guess it
> boils down to -- when a release is announced, where are the Release Notes
> of record? and if things change -- i.e. *New* Discovered Issues, as opposed
> to Known Issues in the Release Notes -- should this be kept as a separate
> entity that is not part of the Release Notes of record? OK, a lot of legal
> gobbly gook I guess

Two separate considerations, perhaps:

1) Whether Release Notes are updated overtime, post-release, based on
feedback from users and discovery of new issues?  Or are they
frozen-in-time, snapshots that never change, but might point to a
different page that is updated.

2) What technology we use to create, publish and (if needed) update
the release notes.

It is possible to have a "living" document for Release Notes and do it
entirely in HTML on the website.  It is possible to do it on the wiki.
 It is even possible to do it on the committer-only CWiki.   (Anyone
remember that we have that?)

Since we all seem to like drafting the release notes on the wiki, it
might reduce the work if we just keep it there.  It makes it easier
for translators as well.  But I'm not too concerned with the except
technology used.  I'm more concerned with keeping it up to date, and
easy to understand.  In other words, if we have a section called
"known issues", I want it to remain accurate as new issues are
discovered.  It is 2013 and this is the internet.  We shouldn't have a
"let's slip an errata sheet into a hardbound book" mentality about
this.

> I personally find it annoying to get "instructions" and "issues" at a site
> one day, that somehow morph into something else the next. Even if these
> things are not legally binding, there's that sort of confusion factor.

I think most users consult the page rarely.  They might look once when
they install initially.  And then they look again perhaps, if they run
into a problem.  One advantage of the release notes in particular (and
this is true of no other page) is that they tend to have higher Google
PageRank, because they are linked to from news articles.  So users who
query for things like "apache openoffice 4.0 issues" will tend to find
that page high on their results list.  This would not be true for
issues that we push off to another, secondary page.

> I, too, really don't like the idea of anyone with a wiki account being able
> to change these, especially with the possibility of  no general
> consultation or consensus.

There are ways of handling this that control the ACL, such as using
the OOODEV CWiki, or even using static HTML or MDText pages, if the
open access of the wiki is a concern.

Regards,

-Rob