On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2013, at 9:43 AM, janI wrote:

>>> like:

>>> with
>>>>

>>> Restructuring is just drag and drop in CWiki.  Migration would be more
>>> effort, but we could restructure while migrating.  But a non-trivial
>>> effort unless there is a tool that automates page conversion, moving
>>> images, etc.
>
> Exactly.
>

>> So because its complicated we keep maintaining at 2 different
>> products....We should have been a goverment agency.
>
> Don't cast this kind of note about why we have two wikis. We got the CWiki on
> day one of the project at Apache. The Mwiki remained at Oracle for many
> months. (1) It took some time to get a volunteer named Terry E to do the
> migration which you have taken over. Thank you. (2) Ask on #asfinfra if you
> want to find out about the "difficulties" that occurred.
>
> The CWiki serves its purpose very well.
>
>> But I get your point, and wont press further for a simpler maintenance.
>
> If the project wants to move to one wiki - sure go ahead. I'll help however I
> can when I have time. I would perfectly happy to longer have to Admin it
> which quite frankly has not been much of an effort. How much effort has it
> taken to manage MWiki?
>
> The balance is that the ASF manages Confluence, but the project must manage
> our own MediaWiki.
>
> Since the ASF is considering WordPress as a replacement for Roller. Maybe
> some of the CWiki content belongs there?

Certainly the blog could move to WordPress.  I know WordPress pretty
well, been using it for 8 years or so on my personal blog.  It has
support for blog posts as well as "pages", which can be static content
that is not tied to a post or a typical RSS stream.   But I'd probably
just use that for content that is very strongly associated with the
blog, e.g., a comment policy or a page that tells where to go for
support.  It might not be worth using it for yet-another-cms for the
project.

Most of the stuff we have on CWiki is inward-facing pages that we use
to coordinate on parts of the project.  I think that is distinct from
the blog content.  And maybe even distinct from what most of the MWiki
is used for, which is more user facing.

As you know, we've had this discussion before and more than once.  We
have the same situation with www.openoffice.org versus
openoffice.apache.org.  Project-facing versus user-facing.

Of course, this doesn't determine our technical approach.  We could
use a single technology and have both project-facing and user-facing
content in the same tool, if we structured it right.  But the rewards
seem less tangible than the effort required to get there.

Regards,

-Rob