On 7 August 2013 12:51, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 August 2013 09:33, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
> > I'm deleting the quotes of the earlier discussion as it is not relevant
> to my point here.
> >
> > I have no experience of building with Java and care little about the
> security holes, so I bow to the expertise of those who know better.
> >
> > If changes are being made to the OpenOffice/Java interaction, would it
> be possible that these be done in such a way that no matter whether
> installed on a 32 or 64 bit windows, OpenOffice interfaced correctly with
> the installed Java, so doing away with the requirement that a 32 bit Java
> be installed.
>
> +1

+1

> AOO should work with what is installed, [though there is probably no
> need to support Java 4 or earlier any more.]
> Just because Java 5 or 6 is no longer current does not mean it is not
> being used.
> In particular, businesses tend to stay on older versions of Java (and
> OS) until the cost of updating is less than the cost of not updating.

correct, but at the same time companies are typically security aware, and
java 6 (and below) have some serious know issues.

I would have thought that its possible to develop/built with java 7 and
still have java 5,6 as runtime environment, but looking at the code it does
not seem easy (we would have to get the java version, and use different API
calls).

rgds
jan I.