Am 08/20/2013 11:25 AM, schrieb sebb:
On 19 August 2013 19:44, Rory O'Farrell<ofarr...@iol.ie>  wrote:
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:14:08 +0200
Andrea Pescetti<pesce...@apache.org>  wrote:

On 19/08/2013 sebb wrote:
Note that the page http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html also
requires Javascript!

This is not so good. The noscript option should direct the user to
http://www.apache.org/dyn/aoo-closer.cgi/openoffice/
(users who disable JavaScript are likely to be able to browse the
FTP-like structure they will see there).

Whatever method is chosen, I think it should be possible to download
AOO without the use of Javascript.

It should also be possible to download OpenOffice in the cases where
JavaScript parsing breaks, i.e., we should have alternative download
links that are always visible (working JavaScript, broken Javascript, no
JavaScript).

Regards,
    Andrea.

I think the automatic selection of a "best fit" OpenOffice for the user is good.

Agreed.

Forum experience suggests that many unskilled users will get confused if
offered the full range of options of versions for operating sytems, languages
and language packs.

Yet that is exactly what the page
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html does.

All the versions and all the language packs are laid out in one huge table.
Probably easier to use than the ASF mirror structure, but still not easy.

However, although the page requires Javascript, it does not use
Javascript to narrow the choices for the user.
AFAICT the Javascript is only used to build the table so it might as
well be static HTML that any browser can use.

In the past it was, sorry, a pain in the ass to keep this webpage up-to-date as there were always changes in paths, version number and languages (new were included, old were dropped out). Copy & paste errors were often occurring. Now it is much easier to update it as the table is generated via JS logic and this logic is filled via a few variables.

If it were turned into a static page, I think it might be a better
alternative to the ASF mirror structure.

IMHO this wouldn't change anything, except for JS or no-JS.

So, it seems we need an intermediate step between the green box and the big table.

Maybe there should be a separate discussion about how to organise the
download pages when the autodetection does not work.

Marcus