On 10/25/2013 12:48 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
On 10/25/13 1:25 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Vladislav Stevanovic wrote:
We had in Serbia simmilar problem with one of the most-frequently-used
extension in Serbian. Thanks for Jörg Schmidt he made version for AOO
4.0,
but we have still some problems here, because old version of this
extension
is still visible on AOO Extension site! It is silent message for all:
this
is not working on AOO, but here is on our site.
Indeed, we must do something about this. PDF Import is another excellent
example: people do not read that the 4.0-compatible version is available
as a different extension and keep complaining and believing that a
4.0-compatible version does not exist... this creates confusion,
misunderstandings and a huge waste of time for support.
we can simply define a rule that unmaintained extension will be removed
when the owner doesn't reply on mail requests.

That means we can send a mail to the owner and if he doesn't reply at
all or is not willing to add these information, we remove the extensions
completely.
It would be better to create a separate area - like the attic - to hold these. It would be less offending than just removing them. I understand that the proposal is to reach out and only remove those that are unresponsive, but I think that this will be seen as heavy handed.

Is it possible to create a status of 'In the attic', such that the page template gets a big 'old and not maintained' banner? Or move them to an attic section, leaving behind a forwarding message ('this extension has been moved to the attic due to lack of maintenance').

A.

It can be quite simple

Juergen

1) Administrators must have create the rule: extensions on AOO site
"Extension" must declared as appropriate or non-appropriate for AOO4.0.
This is already there. There's compatibility information for all
releases. And we even have a wiki page
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Extensions/Extensions_and_Apache_OpenOffice_4.0

with examples and information.

2) In future we must made restriction for those extensions on our site
I don't get what you would restrict. Do you mean that you would "hide"
all extensions that are not compatible with 4.0? I think they can
stay... Maybe it is possible to add a warning to the extensions that do
not have releases explicitly compatible with 4.0?

3) There is some the most frequently used extensions. What we can do to
ensure that this extension works in AOO 4.0? Can we invited authors of
this
extensions to made version for AOO4.0? Can we create some fork, if it is
totaly legal (for example, for extensions where authors of extensions do
not want to make corrections for AOO 4.0 and when licence permit forks?
This is complex and I don't know what is best to do. For sure PDF
Import, the most popular extension, the source code for which is in the
OpenOffice sources, is unmaintained and "forked" (meaning: Ariel
provided a working replacement that is compatible with 4.0), but the
replacement is shadowed by the original extension. Same for the MySQL
Connector. For those two extensions I would suggest to plug in Ariel's
replacements as updates to the original extension, to give them proper
visibility.

But these two extensions are very special cases. In general, "forking"
will be a mess since it will duplicate extensions and the original one
will still be more visible and outdated. "Transfer of ownership"
(meaning: the author has no interest or time to update the extension,
but at least he is available to transfer the ownership of the extension
on the Extensions site to another user who is volunteering to create a
4.0-compatible version) would work best.

Regards,
   Andrea.