On 12/16/13 12:55 PM, jan i wrote:
> On 16 December 2013 12:47, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are still working on the 64 bit port which is intended to replace the
>> 32 bit version in the future. We don't plan to support both because the
>> overhead is too much at the moment. And most used MacOS version are
>> already 64 bit and with the free available OS updates most systems are
>> running on a newer version anyway.
>>
>> Nevertheless do we have to drop the support for 10.6 systems because of
>> a missing libc++ that was introduced on 10.7 first.
>>

>> I would like to propose that with AOO 4.1 we support 10.7 or higher
>> MacOS systems only at the beginning. We can decide later on if it's
>> worth to spend additional time in 10.6 systems but for now I would not
>> spent any further time on it. We have to look forward and we should take
>> into account that we have many other things to do that will be address
>> the needs and requirements of many more users.
>>
> +1, I also expect that the upcomming macOs buildbot will only support one
> MacOS version, and that should be the mainline.

it is not so easy and in general we would like to support as many as
possible MacOS versions. The point is that we need the related platform
SDK and our initial plan was to build against the 10.6 SDK.  But with
the upgrade to Xcode 4 the 10.6 SDK is not supported anymore and you
have to tweak your system which would be ok in general. We developed
against 10.7 SDK and did some tests last week against the 10.6 SDK and
realized that the libc++ was introduced with 10.7 first.

In general it is important that the used system APIs are still valid and
supported by a platform. With the 64bit version Herbert replaced some
deprecated APIs as well.

Juergen