On 2013-12-17, 3:07 AM Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
On 2013-12-16, 5:47 AM Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
I would like to propose that with AOO 4.1 we support 10.7 or higher
MacOS systems only at the beginning. We can decide later on if it's
worth to spend additional time in 10.6 systems but for now I would not
spent any further time on it. We have to look forward and we should take
into account that we have many other things to do that will be address
the needs and requirements of many more users.
-1
There are a significant number of people who use 10.6 and won't upgrade
for a variety of reasons.
we need real numbers. And we should keep in mind that Apple has a
different philosophy and cut older systems more rigorous. We have to
take this into account and the update on new core APIs was overdue. The
risk to run into real and bigger problems is very high.

10.6 was replaced in July 2011. That is 2 year and 5 months ago.
You need real numbers to justify your position. I see lots of comments from people on various support groups that they are not upgrading.

If volunteers are interested to help here we can and will help but we
will focus on the mainstream and with supporting the last 3 versions I
believe we address most of the users.

Provide some valid statistics to back that up. You said you need real numbers,
provide them.

Sorry if this sounds to harsh for you but we have to prioritize our work
and nobody should expect that we do all the work.

What is this we/they thing. Is there two projects here? Sounds like developer superiority speech to me.

And believe me we don't drop an older version easy and we would prefer
to support as many as possible but sometimes the given constraints are
different.

A two year and five month old version is not old. After all, you still support
Windows XP.

And whatever reasons are there that don't allow a free update to a newer
system, these users should think if this platform is the right one for
them.

There is no free upgrade from  OS X ver. 10.6, only paid upgrades.
The only free upgrade is to 10.9 and you require at least 10.7 to get it. Many Intel Macs won't run 10.9.

Well this is just my personal opinion.

Juergen

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." -
Edgard Varese