On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 21:53:17 +0200
Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:

> Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > I have tried with Impress 4.1.0 to open and display as Slide Shows
> > some existing .odp files made and displayed with OO 3.4 (and
> > earlier). Tomorrow I'll find a sample file to upload to Bugzilla;
> > pending that, I thought I'd give advance warning of such instability,
> > so that others can check out some of their existing presentations. If
> > this is confirmed should we consider it as a showstopper?
>
> It will help to know in detail what's going wrong (are the file not
> displayed at all? not even opened correctly?), but if we have a
> regression opening old .odp files this would for sure qualify for a
> "release blocker candidate" and need investigation (and hopefully fix)
> before 4.1.1.
>
> On the other hand, I opened many .odp files that I had created with
> earlier OpenOffice versions in 4.1.0 and I didn't notice regressions.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

I think I have tracked this down! (Famous last words??!!) The crash on Slide
Show seems to be caused by use of Fade smoothly or Fade through black
transitions between slides. Substitution of some other transitions (note - a
random small selection, not extensive testing of all transitions) to replace
the Fade/Fade Down transitions made the presentation stable. Could some others
please test if the Fade transitions cause such instability. I have a small
presentation of eleven sides (700KB) which I was preparing for a project
(stillborn), which I use as a test. I'll willingly share this with anyone who
is interested.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>