On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Alexandro Colorado <j...@oooes.org> wrote:
> On G+ I have hold a conversation with Bruce Byfield and Jos from KDE
> about the continuation of the Apache OpenOffice community and how the
> way that the community has enter lately into a dormant stage with very
> little traffic.
>
> Althought I do seem that is an exageration, I feel that is true that
> traffic has reach its lowest in several months. I wonder what is going
> on with the community as well as overal adoption and concern of a lack
> of marketing strategy.
>
> I would love to hear from the community managers to have an evaluation.

Community mangers?  Come on, you know that is not how we roll at Apache!

What is amazing to be is how much LO sees a merger of the projects as
a threat to them.

Here's the background.  At the LO conference one of the presenters
spoke in favor of merging LO with AOO, of combining the efforts.  This
was the IT Head from the Swiss Supreme Court IT office, who also said
that they preferred to use AOO for its superior stability compared to
LO.

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/open-and-libre-office-projects-should-reunite

As you can imagine, having a speaker at a LO conference say nice
things about AOO and to suggest cooperation with AOO was an insult
that could not be permitted.   So LO marketing went into over-drive to
try to kill that message.  That's why we see articles like this, and
recent related blog posts by Simon and Charles.

But it does make me wonder:  What are they so afraid of?  Why do they
think the idea of cooperation so dangerous?   Why do they think that
users are so wrong to value stability and to think that the two
projects would work better together?

-Rob