On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Alain Sanguinetti <al...@sanguinetti.eu>
wrote:

> Le 02.10.2014 19:38, Alexandro Colorado a écrit :
>
>  On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Roman Sausarnes <
>> romansausar...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Hello,
>>>
>>> As a newcomer to development who is looking for a way to get involved in
>>> one project or the other, I thought I would share my impressions.
>>>
>>> The LibreOffice website and development materials seem friendlier to
>>> newcomers. It is easier to navigate and find simple instructions for how
>>> get the code, set up a development environment, or contribute in other
>>> ways. I use a Mac, and almost right away I found a detailed set of
>>> instructions that was (relatively) current for how to build LO for the
>>> first time on my machine.
>>>
>>> The AOO website is confusing and disorganized for people approaching it
>>> for
>>> the first time and some of the information is outdated. I still haven't
>>> found simple instructions for how to build on a Mac. I have found a set
>>> of
>>> instructions but they are confusing, appear to be outdated, and suggest
>>> that I need to install older Xcode, etc., without any suggestions or
>>> resources on how to do it, if it is really necessary, etc.
>>>

>> ​Can you please be more explicit on this. From our angle, we create
>> modules
>> so that people could easily find the right information of the way they
>> want
>> to contribute. Going to www.openoffice.org and selecting you want to
>> contribute will lead you to a series of tutorials on how to better get
>> involved. Development starts with building for different platforms,
>> including OSX.
>>
>> All in all is 4 clicks:
>> Homepage -> Contributing page -> Development -> Building -> OSX (
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_
>> Guide_AOO/Building_on_MacOsX
>> )
>>
>> The instructions are for 4.1 so they are pretty current. ​
>>

> I am a newcomer as well to the Apache OpenOffice community and I have the
> same feeling.
> One thing that struck me is the number of websites/wiki that exists.
> You have openoffice.org. ( which actually looks a little different from
> openoffice.org/fr ! )
> Then you have http://openoffice.apache.org
> And there are Confluence and MediaWiki Wikis.
> All websites looks great but I think it needs consolidation at one place.
>
> But the new volunteer orientation modules are great.

​When OOo join apache we were stuck with a website and wiki that apache
used for their projects (Confluence and xxxx.apache.org). That's where the
duplication happened. Semantically on the project we delegate the apache
website/wiki to project-related information (new launch, etc). And
openoffice.org website/wiki to product-related information (release notes,
etc). Ideally the apache.org assets should be on an extranet while the
openoffice.org should be public. This being a public project we have them
both. In principle I agreed, that it would be easier if we just forward
everything to the openoffice.org sites.​ Confluence has proven to be a pain
in the butt while the apache.org website have content that can easily be
handled on the main openoffice.org site. I guess is just a decision the
project most make.