-- replying in-line to --
From: jan i [mailto:j...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2015 14:27
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org; dennis.hamil...@acm.org
Subject: Re: OOo4Kids & OOoLight Status

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
wrote:

> +1,
>
> Nice thinking, Guy.
>
> Perhaps a bit more work and resource to make this customizable, and a
> great idea.  This also matters for enterprise deployments and such.  That,
> along with customized template sets can be very important in certain areas
> of application.
>
> We still have the original resource problem to solve, yet it is nice to
> see thoughtful definition taking place.

Do we (AOO) have to solve that, or is it the project (being downstream to
AOO) ?

To me it sounds like a downstream adaptation.

<orcmid>
   I confess I was thinking of customizations as something that could be
   added without having to rebuild the code.  That would require
   building-in of a technique for customization.  The starter and
   intermediates might well be introduced in that manner, though part
   of the default build.
     I suppose that means creation of an extension point unless it is
   practical to skin the product using the existing extension machinery.
     I also suppose that there has to be versioning of an extension point
   and concerns for future distributions breaking existing customizations.
</orcmid>

rgds
jan i

[ ... ]