I have retitled this thread as it has developed to reflect more general OO
problems, arising from a user difficulty.

One matter we are discussing is backup.  the "automatic backup" link is
disabled by default.  This may have been logical in days when disk space was
limited, but with modern giga/terabyte drives  that no longer seems a valid
consideration.

Blue sky thinking: Subversion/SVN backup is an Apache project.  Would it be
possible to make future OO releases use this for backup.  On installation, OO
could probe for an existing SVN setup and chain into that if found.  If not, it
could cause an automatic installation of a reduced mode/private SVN
installation, which would maintain backups of previous versions of the OO data
files in use.  (I have used SVN but at an elementary level - as used in
University of Bremen's AuthorSupportTool project with which I am fiddling, so
my suggestion here may be utterly unreasonable).

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>