Marcus wrote:
Am 12/31/2015 11:34 AM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
If we are really, really sure that spellchecker failure and backup
failure have the same underlying cause and fix it makes sense to combine
them in a single Bugzilla entry ...
Sure, lets start with combining both. When we see that both issues have
different root causes we can create a new BZ issue.

I see them as different issues. Remember also that "broken spell checker" used to be an issue with upgrading, and that part of it was fixed in 4.0.1 (I think; Release Notes can help). Now it is not necessarily related to the profile migration, since most users are already on 4.x and profile upgrade only occurs when installing 4.x on a computer where 3.x was used previously.

Anyway, all of them are related to profile corruption, and this leads me to think that we should focus on fixing broken profiles first, since it's easier and it is what users want. There are useful and very simple options for helping users even before digging in research about this bug:

1) Write a simple Windows tool that will rename the default "user" folder to "user.20151231-123456" (or your favorite timestamp); this runs outside OpenOffice, it can be hosted somewhere on home.apache.org and it may become our standard answer to profile corruption problems.

2) Do the same from within OpenOffice. This requires a bit more thinking/design, and you will find plenty of messages about this in the archives.

Feel free to ask if you need anything more; I'm skipping details since since most of the list members are already familiar with the topic, but I can provide more information on request.

Regards,
  Andrea.