-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Shanahan [mailto:p...@acm.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 4, 2016 13:48
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: Building on Windows

On 2/4/2016 12:40 PM, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi Patricia,

Patricia Shanahan schrieb:
I think maybe I need to clean up and start again. What is the best
way
to clean, short of doing a fresh checkout?

I remove the output-tree manually

Starting in main:
find . -maxdepth 2 -name "wntmsci12*" | xargs rm -rf

In addition delete wntmsci12* from folder solver.

In addition delete wntmsci12* from folders in ext_libraries

Thanks.

My next question is the best way to control the C compiler options. I
want to get rid of precompiled headers.

[orcmid]

+1 on eliminating precompiled headers.  They are an anachronism.

If you can specify the command-line options, here's the scoop.

Using the VC++ command line compiler, you can get most of the options with
command

      cl.exe -? | more

Top-of-head recommendation:

    Do not have option /Fp<file> to name precompiled header file
    Do not have option /Yu for using precompiled headers
    Do not have option /Yc for creating precompiled headers
    Ensure that "stdafx.cpp" is not a parameter
    Ensure none of these are in any @options file.
    [The option /Y- appears to disable PCH completely.  You might try that if
the above is not enough.)

    Don't have any #include "stdafx.h"

    Nuke any "stdafx.cpp" and "stdafx.h" files.

How you control this may be a function of (generated?) makefiles and parameters
they set, and that's harder.  If there are some common @option files around,
that's not so bad.

You may have to find where/how the command-line options are specified in any
makefiles, and where those come from for generated files.

It seems the fix is to change the sample configure parameters in the step-by-step instructions. Currently, it shows --enable-pch, which seems to be a bad idea, and took up several days of my time.

(I was going to say "wasted several days of my time", but any time I find a root cause of build difficulty and can reduce is to a wiki change, I have achieved something useful.)

Patricia