On 9/15/2016 12:59 PM, Jorg Schmidt wrote:
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2w...@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2016 9:05 PM
To: dev@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: 4.1.4 Release Manager?

The strategy behind 4.1.3 and 4.1.4 is this:.

(1) Quick releases of important bug fixes especially related
to security.
(2) quickly building release manager skills. We became overly
dependent on people who are no longer with us.

+1

(3) establishing a regular cadence.

but not to short release cycles, for example, the release policy of LibreOffice
is
an absolutely bad example.

imho is a release cycle of 12 months is a reasonable compromise, at most
necessary
security updates should justify shorter cycles.

Why 12 months?
not a professional user of OO (for example, companies or city authorities) is
usually more often than every 12 to 18 months to update, because each update
requires administrative effort. Shortly cycles will be only be used when safety
issues require mandatory.

Agreed. We currently have some backlogs in both fixing and training.

In the long term I would like to see a point release sitting ready for
an urgent bug, but not going out if we get to a regular, planned release
before we need it.