Keith,
I would not say it was a disappointing result at all. I am a complete
novice with DocBook and I have used XSL exactly one time before this. I may
have committed any number of rookie mistakes. I was just playing with the
tools to see what worked right away and what would need tweaking.

I used both OpenOffice's Save As DocBook option and Pandoc's odt -> DocBook
option to make the xml version of the odt document
For html output, I used libxslt to translate the xml into html
For PDF output, I used libxslt to translate the xml into an fo file and
then I used Apache FOP to make a PDF from that.

My test document was an OpenOffice Installation Guide I pulled off the web.

The biggest problem with the PDF was the placement of the table of
contents. It is at the top of the document before the title page and I
cannot move the dang thing. Just my ignorance I am sure.  A couple of the
figures are not well placed, the document title is formatted as regular
text and some links appear as the raw link instead as the desired text.

The html also has the title misformatted, it has no table of contents at
all and it generally looks very bland. I am not sure whether the figures
were correctly included in my first try or if I had to fiddle with the xml
content to get them to appear.

If I were to continue along the DocBook path, I would redo my tests and
record carefully what worked and what needed adjustment. I held off on that
because I did not want to waste time if you were to say that you found a
better solution than DocBook.  My guess, a very ill informed one, is that
neither the OpenOffice export nor Pandoc's odt -> DocBook process will give
us perfectly formatted DocBook files but they will do a very large fraction
of the work. Some manual editing will be needed but once we understand what
that is, it will not be a big deal. Getting to that understanding may be
painful if no one knows DocBook any better than me.

How is your knowledge of XSL? I can look at the code and guess what some of
it does but I cannot write anything myself.

Francis