Keith,
The only changes I made to the xml to make the second
pdf, Proposaltoreinvigerate_fjcc_myStyles2.pdf, were to change from a
hierarchical section structure to a nonhierarchical, changing sect1, sect2,
sect3 tags to just section, and putting <title> tags around the title,
which moved it above the table of contents. The only styling I did was
changing the color of some section titles and using bullets in the lists
instead of numbers.

I am editing the xml file in a plain text editor. I make the the pdf file
with the two commands
xsltproc.exe --output tmp.fo myStyles.xsl Proposaltoreinvigerate_fjcc2.xml
fop tmp.fo Proposaltoreinvigerate_fjcc_myStyles2.pdf

Are you not seeing pages in the PDF file? That is strange because I do. I
think I can get the logo in without much trouble.

I make the HTML file with
xsltproc.exe --nonet --novalid --output
Proposaltoreinvigerate_fjcc_myStyles.html c:\docbook\xsl\html\docbook.xsl
Proposaltoreinvigerate_fjcc2.xml

The --nonet flag stops xsltproc from getting hung looking for the DTD
according to something I read.

I am looking forward to seeing the feedback you get on your doc.

Regards,
Francis