As already written: I don't know both systems and I only made my statement
based on the information I found on Wikipedia.
If Mechtilde (and others) have real experience with one of the two databases,
this would have more weight.

Maybe one more thing: Is the problem database even important?
LO, for example, has much more manpower than we do, and yet Firebird in LO
still seems to me to be a construction site, because actually everyone advises
me to stay with HSQLDB (as far as an embedded DB is concerned).
AOO should avoid getting into the same situation, because invested work that
ultimately creates no benefit for the user is badly invested.

Yes, it is a very soft argument to warn not to start at all, because you are
afraid, that you can not make it.
But many other questions seem to me to be more urgent, e.g. the currently
detected problems with Big Sur (maybe other MacOS versions?)

Jörg