Dear List,

while working on pull requests, I was wondering how to test the most
common build options for OpenOffice -- possibly the same used for
release builds.

I must confess I got lost a couple of times while searching the wiki
for this information, but I eventually found out this SVN repository:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/

I would like to propose some changes to those scripts. They do not
seem to be on GitHub, so a pull request is not possible. I am writing
to this list in the hope to reach the responsible people. I will be
happy to write to more direct email addresses, if anyone could point
them out to me.

 1- there seems to be a hidden bug. The configure script is called in
 a subshell and its output is piped to tee(1). However, this discards
 the return value of the configure script, and this does not seem to
 be the intended behavior (the subshell invocation is followed by
 "|| exit 1"). Solution: add "set -o pipefail" before invoking the
 configure script.

 2- I would like to propose not to rely on dmake and epm to be
 installed in /usr/local/bin, but to rather make them optional. If
 they are found, they are used; otherwise, their URL's are passed to
 the configure script so that the build system will take care of
 building them.

 3- I would like to propose build scripts for Ubuntu 18.04 and for
 opeSUSE Leap 15 systems (they are what I have at hand at the moment)

 4- possibly other personalizations, such as the number of concurrent
 jobs (8 is a bit too much for my computers :-)

If the responsible people are interested in the above changes, then I
will be happy to send the changes in patch(1) format. Or, to open a
bug report. Alternatively, I am 100% open to discuss the above by
email.

rigo

http://rigo.altervista.org