Now that I'm thinking about the configure script, I have to admit
that some things really look like they could/should be fixed.

For example,

  --with-dmake-path
  --with-dmake-url
  --with-epm
  --with-epm-url

Why does dmake use dmake-path but EPM just use epm? Why 2 directives when they
could be combined? And it's not like we can build without EPM and dmake
anyway...

  --enable-beanshell     Enable the use of beanshell.
  --with-system-beanshell Use beanshell already on system (default)
  --with-beanshell-jar=JARFILE   Specify path to jarfile manually

That's a lot of options that could be combined into 1.

So I was thinking we just have these 3:

 --with-epm
 --with-dmake
 --with-beanshell

If we wish to disable, then ./configure accepts '--without-*' or --with-*=no.
No magic there.
If left as is, configure looks in $PATH for epm, dmake, and the beanshell
jarfile. If not found, beanshell is disabled and for epm/dmake we fail.

We also allow the --with-*= to be *either* local paths OR URLs....

To make this more clear:

  --with-epm
     o Look for EPM on PATH. If it doesn't exist, we try error out
  --with-epm=/usr/local/bin/epm
     o Use that version
  --with-epm=https://foo.bar/fluzz/epm-5.0.0.tar.gz
     o download and build (replace --with-epm-url)

For beanshell and dmake we would have just:

   --with-beanshell
   --with-dmake

which follows the same logic.

Of course, this will break existing build scripts for 4.2.0 and later, but I
think the disruption is worth it.

Thoughts?