Well, it may be laborious to overcome the hurdles, but it is not difficult.
One way would be for someone to feel responsible for the newcomers and give
them concrete support in their first steps in the project. But I've been having
this discussion for 15 years now, and it's regularly put down by the fact that
such support for newcomers would potentially be interference.

e.g. I personally would never have found my way to OpenOffice if I had been
fobbed off as a newcomer by being told I have free choice in what I want to do
- no, I owe my being here to people like Andre, Thomas or Eric who had the
right human feeling to give me hints at the beginning which tasks would be
suitable for me.

greetings,
Jörg