I suspect that due to Docker-in-Docker scenario, it will be easier to use
java+jar (+local docker) instead of running the jar in a container.

Today you can start the jar with only java <jar>, but you will need a bunch of
parameters (probably different per OS?) to run it in a container, I think.
Local docker client is switched per OS here
https://github.com/apache/openwhisk/blob/231e739373ef681c44b5647a6956d5838a87db2e/core/invoker/src/main/scala/org/apache/openwhisk/core/containerpool/docker/StandaloneDockerContainerFactory.scala#L37
I guess this wouldn't apply if running in a container, but it arguably makes
running the jar simpler than running the container IMHO.
I also suspect you won't get the behavior of launching playground ui to browser
either, which I would miss.

Tyson