Alright... So to repeat (and I think you get this much)... Kafka is in
principle very simple; Put any byte array into a topic in one end, and
readers can get that byte array from that topic somewhere else. Just a
simple message queue, at an abstract level. And the Kafka client libraries
for doing this is dead easy to use, producer.send() and consumer.poll()
respectively.

So, I suspect that you are talking about some higher level than base Kafka,
possibly masquerading the Kafka transport as some other transport
abstraction or a component implementing some protocol, such as MQTT [1],
that behind the end point feeds Kafka. But I could be completely off-track
and some really clever ideas are at play here, that I don't realize yet.
So, yes, please invite people to discuss further.

Niclas

[1] MQTT feeding Kafka is something I will implement myself in the not too
distant future