Hey Niclas,
I realized how old the old things are when I started preparing
automation training for mere mortals and got into history of frames and
even cabling. Mr. Modbus and EIA-485 is definitely older than I. ;-)

Getting back to the point - yes. I been thinking how to address the byte
order in effective way. Here are two approaches I have for now:

A) My initial attempt is just a temporary buffer which is then written
in reverse order to caller. For reading it is similar - just getting N
bytes in reversed order. The hard part is.. knowing N. I had to add a
static calculation in order to allocate valid buffer sizes. I tend to
work but I'm not happy with this approach cause it involves additional work.
B) Second idea I've got is really simple and relies on code generation.
We know in which order fields are coming. Here I'm referring to a State
field which is just bunch of bits. If we would group fields in bytes and
generate code in reverse order then it has chance to work. Requirement
for that - ability to know basic field sizes upfront.
C) Try to combine above with bit-io or Read/WriteBuffers as these are
places which know actual position and state of buffers which are being
read/written.

Now, getting to two cases which are a problem. CommandId and State. So
with command id situation is simple as it is declared as enum and it is
read as uint. We know size upfront and can generate valid method call
(readIntLE).
[enum uint 16 little endian 'CommandId'
    ['0x00' INVALID]
    ['0x01' ADS_READ_DEVICE_INFO]
    ['0x02' ADS_READ]
    ['0x03' ADS_WRITE]
    ['0x04' ADS_READ_STATE]
    ['0x05' ADS_WRITE_CONTROL]
    ['0x06' ADS_ADD_DEVICE_NOTIFICATION]
    ['0x07' ADS_DELETE_DEVICE_NOTIFICATION]
    ['0x08' ADS_DEVICE_NOTIFICATION]
    ['0x09' ADS_READ_WRITE]
]

Second candidate is what I'm stuck right now sniping next cycles of
problems. So in case of State we have complex type composed from 2
bytes. A note here - instead of two bytes we might have a variable
length type which includes array or other variable section.
[type little endian 'State'
    [simple     bit 'broadcast'             ]
    [reserved   int 7 '0x0'                 ]
    [simple     bit 'initCommand'           ]
    [simple     bit 'updCommand'            ]
    [simple     bit 'timestampAdded'        ]
    [simple     bit 'highPriorityCommand'   ]
    [simple     bit 'systemCommand'         ]
    [simple     bit 'adsCommand'            ]
    [simple     bit 'noReturn'              ]
    [simple     bit 'response'              ]
]

The order of reading big endian encoded data to impose little endian
shift would be (please correct me if I'm wrong):
1) init
2) udp
3) add timestamp
4) priority
5) system
7) noreturn
8) response (end of byte 1)
9) broadcast
10) reserved (end of byte )
We can do same trick for writing, by re-arranging fields. By this way we
avoid any additional byte level operations.

Overall trouble with generated driver is to declare "how much" bytes
should be read and interpreted. We have precise size information at the
runtime - due to length fields, we can leverage it at generation time,
but then we won't be able to cover all cases.

I would love to keep it simple and do not break things thus I need your
advice on how to approach this problem in a valid way.

Cheers,
Łukasz