On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, pj.fanning wrote:
I understand the desire to replace XMLBeans altogether but I don't think we have enough developer time available to do this in the 4.0.0 time frame.

Given the amount of work that'd take, and a desire for other features and bugs to be worked on in the mean time, I'd agree!

1. Keep Apache XMLBeans 2.6.0 dependency - if users run into issues with
XMLBeans, they can choose to configure their own project builds to swap in
https://github.com/pjfanning/xmlbeans instead.

I don't think that's a good new-user experience (nor upgrading user experience), the "default" they're pushed towards is known to have problems and they'll likely struggle with them for a while before discovering the fix

2. Make https://github.com/pjfanning/xmlbeans the default dependency
3. Delay POI 4.0.0 release until we can get an adequate replacement for
XMLBeans.

I'd suggest we either go back to the Attic PMC and do a fixed release of XMLBeans there (based on your fixed github fork), or fork XMLBeans within POI (based on your fixed fork) and release a fixed release ourselves.

Either way, we then have POI depend on a known-fixed rather than known-broken jar by default!

Nick