Bringing xmlbeans out of the attic is my vote.

I can be one of the Xmlbeans PMCs if all we are missing is a head count and
a couple emails to infra.

I don't see taking Xmlbeans out of the attic as a huge support burden. It's
a stable, complete product and any future development is probably just
small bug fixes. As long as infra is okay with that philosophy, removing
Xmlbeans from the attic causes the least confusion for everyone, and may
reduce our support load for POI and Tika when users can't get xmlbeans
working (even if all it is is linking to the FAQ and PJ's GitHub).

Every email we receive probably was the result of 8 hours of struggling to
diagnose the problem in their build setup, and several others who gave up
without contacting us.