Some TLPs decide to rotate the Chair role on a yearly basis. Some keep them for
as long as the Chair is willing. You should think about what kind of convention
for Chair role ownership you'd like to see (if even you have a preference at
this point).

I have been Chair of two projects at one time. I wouldn't say it is tedious.
You need to pay attention, to act as the Board's liaison to the PMC. Keeping up
on discussion email traffic and the monthly Board minutes is enough. Depending
on project velocity the effort required will vary. For PIO I think it would not
be too much. You'll need to prepare the quarterly report for your project. This
takes maybe half an hour to accomplish every three months. Pat is right that
the role confers no leadership and sometimes outside of Apache the position is
misconstrued. The Chair is a secretary. It could be a good role for a
nontechnical member of the PMC to take on, if you have one, a good opportunity
to contribute to the project in a meaningful way outside of code development.