Nigel,

Could you please provide the exception stack that is printed along with
error message you are showing. Please check in xa_portal.log ( Ranger log).

Also check in Ranger class path ranger-plugins-common*jar is there. Check
in {install.dir}/ranger-admin/ews/lib and
{install.dir}/ranger-admin/ews/webapp/WEB-INF/lib and it has the necessary
permission for the process user who start ranger admin.

As you notice it should have used the base implementation when you leave
implClass blank / or not in the service def.

Regards,
Ramesh