Hi Carlos,

Yes, I would love it if there was a way to have a simpler HTML structure.
I saw this article [1] implied you could hide the checkbox.
I don't know for sure, but my sense is that the HTML structure used by
bootstrap and mdl couldn't take advantage of browsers supporting
display:none to hide the checkbox.  If you have time, it would be
interesting to see if you can hide the checkbox and set a background-image
to some SVG.  IMO, it would be ok if truly allowing any visuals required
CSS3 support in the browser.  You could have another set of views that use
the MDL-like HTML Trees.

IMO, if you can draw every pixel of the various HTML Input controls by
hiding the default look and drawing background-images, and mouse hit
detection still works, you will have a pattern that is closest to that of
Spark in Flex.  Even closer would be to have a Div with an SVGElement in
front or in back of a control with alpha=0, but that seems heavy to me.

It occurred to me how this effort may be analogous to Feathers and
Starling.  Flash has SimpleButton.  You give it 3 views (up, down, hover)
and you are done.  But if that isn't enough control (can't easily do
disabled view) then you use a Sprite and write your own mouse code.  And
then you get for a little more code, things like focus and accessibility.
Then if that's not good enough, you use the Stage3D and start writing
controls that work there, but then you have to draw everything and write
more code for mouse handling and focus and accessibility.  I think you can
find a way in Royale to draw everything, but it might turn out to be a lot
of work in the same way.  The less built-in behavior you use, the more
work it will be.

Good luck,
-Alex

[1]