> On Mar 5, 2018, at 2:18 AM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Why are there so many empty strings and why do the cost so much?  Should
> we reference a single global empty string?

If you mean in XML, I eliminated initializing *everything* in XML unless needed
and I saw a drastic reduction in use of memory. I also reuse Names which
likewise reduced a lot of memory usage.

In this case, it’s necessary to initialize the strings or add checking code.

> I don't think I follow why just-in-case code is less than not-just-in-case
> code.  I don't think I've ever really seen that.  Can you provide more
> detail?

There *is no* "just in case" code here. We *need* to add one of three things to
the MDL Button class and there’s trade-offs between all three.

1. Empty strings with string concatenation
2. An array to hold the strings
3. A class which constructs the array and fills it as needed.

#1 adds the most code and IMO overhead to the MDL Button class
#2 initializes an array or has to add a getter which lazy initializes the array.
#3 has an initially empty object which lazy initializes an array and populates
it as needed.

#2 and #3 are roughly equivalent in terms of object initialization. There’s not
much difference between initializing and object or an array in JS.

#2 puts the “add”, “remove” and “compute” code inside the Button class, while
#3 moves it out into its own class which could be reused in other situations.

Moving it into a class does add a bit of code inherent to classes in Royale,
but I maintain that it’s minimal, and the value of being able to reuse it at no
extra cost makes it justifiable.

It is probably possible that we can have a package level function which returns
an IStringList which would in fact be a javascript object/function which has
the methods built in at no extra code cost, but that feels a bit hacky...

Harbs

* In truth there is a bit of just in case code in the CSSClassList class. There
is range checking in the add method which could probably be removed. The range
checking in the remove method is probably needed because we’re not enforcing
initialization of booleans.