About performance, seems classList is better performant than className
(what I never would have imagined)

Take a look:
https://plus.google.com/+PaulIrish/posts/APArpwWqew3

And the video where first try with className and then switch to classList
to great huge boost in performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZJacl2VkKo

Seems that className touch the DOM and this makes the performance be very
affected.

So the only thing I can imagine could be bad, is the inverse

Thanks

Carlos