I think we're getting to the point in this discussion.

For me as a user, I expect to use className property to "add", and not
override all I have
for that reason in MDL and now in Royale we decided to create properties
(that use to be boolean) like "primary" or in MDL "fab" to add or remove
those properties (since are library properties that are managed
specifically).
I don't want to set primary and then className removes that! I think that
function is not right and will be the cause of many problems.

If the user wants to remove all class names, he can do with a method that
callls element.classList.remove, but the behavior by default shouldn't be
to use className to get rid of all what we have.

If you work with html directly , is normal to write class="class1 class2
..." and create from scratch

in Royale you write mxml and as3 and use className to add additional
classes that are not in the api but not to remove the ones the component
set plus the ones the user "switched" on/off due to properties