I think we created a monster when it comes to configuration requirements
with the Oak server bundle.

Have a look at [1] where I had to add dozens of configurations just to
get a JCR repository running. And this requires not only OSGi
configurations but also framework properties.

Let's start with that one: It seems the tar implementation is fine
without a system property and creates a directory in the current dir.
However, the indexing fails and requires "repository.home" to be set. I
think this should default to something valuable as well. There is no
point in failing.

Then we have all these OSGi configurations - I really think we should
not need them and simply deploying the right bundles should be enough.
It's a nightmare right now.

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/bundles/extensions/event/src/test/java/org/apache/sling/event/it/AbstractJobHandlingTest.java
Adobe Research Switzerland