Hi,
Good solution. One small modification to help anyone get to the old tree.

Rather than switching the main branch and making it empty,  if you branch
trunk to a new branch "archive" and then make trunk empty as you suggest,
it will be possible to point anyone who gets a 404 to the new "archive"
branch. Tagging the last commit from SVN would also help keep a permanent
record.

Only those URLs that are not pointing to a commit/tag/branch (other than
trunk) will be broken and the README left in trunk can explain how to
change the URL.

Best Regards
Ian