Hi,

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 3:07 PM Jason E Bailey <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Can anyone summarize why we are getting rid of it?...

I'm not sure if we need to "get rid" of that module, even if some
portion of Sling users stops using it.

The proposal at [1] says the rewriter should be "deprecated and no
longer used", which is apparently what was discussed at the adaptTo
round table or hackathon.

If people still find the module useful I think it''s fine to move it
to "contrib" status instead of deprecating. As long as there's a
reasonable expectation that the module will be maintained I think
that's a realistic status, but our guarantees are weak for contrib
modules so there's no pressure.

And if other modules provide better ways of doing similar things, link
to them from the rewriter's docs.

-Bertrand

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c80093524461d7203fa9799b79ebbf6bfd1bb3f9795865f4aaf3cd4a@%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E