I see that the same assumptions are being made here that were made a year
ago when this was discussed. I would strongly caution against assuming that
the "aspect developer" and the "script developer" are the same person or
even work for the same organization. The value of AOP programming styles,
such as that used by the rewriter, is that these roles do not need to be
aware of each other.

Agree 100% that AEM should change how link rewriting is done. But that's
not really Sling's concern per se with respect to the rewriter. Sling's
concern should be (1) whether or not AOP has value in a component-based
system (I think the answer here is a clear "yes") and (2) what the right
programming model is to support AOP. To Reuben's point, it is certainly
possible that SAX is the wrong programming model (I personally don't agree,
but I have a very soft spot for SAX). But the answer to that IMO is to
define a better programming model, not jump to the conclusion that AOP
doesn't have value.

Cheers,
Justin