I'm positive towards the concept of the rewriter, a utility that provides
centralized features that addresses cross-cutting concerns with user generated
content.

I'm not a fan of the current implementation of the rewriter.

1.  As Ruben pointed out, as of HTML5  html doesn't have anything to do with
XML. There is no concept of namespace in HTML now. There is no self closing
tag. There may not be an end tag. There is a concept of implied parent tags.

2. TagSoup, which is currently used to parse the HTML, requires  fully cached
content and will attempt to validate the content and add to it, where
appropriate. Which isn't necessary.

3. The Rewriter requires the pipeline configuration to be in a specific place
with a specific name which is inflexible and contrary to other tools we use.

The point being that I would prefer to have the rewriter implementation
deprecated in favor of a more up to date solution then having the concept of
the rewriter deprecated.

--
Jason