As was pointed out before the rewriter is used in a lot of projects for
other things than rewriting links (in our case we use it a lot to inject
legal disclaimers or content fragment models)

The bigger problem however is that it assumes hml == xml and hence can not
deal with attributes with no value

Ruben

--
thank you