If the storm-kafka-client is fairly stable with the changes we made in the 1.2
release, then would we just want to continue the current process ?

If we want to decouple, I think option 2 may be better than option 1 to start
with.

When you say storm-kafka-client-vX.X.X, is it going to be completely
independent of the Storm version and will work across Storm 1.0.x, 1.x and 2.0
(future) storm releases?

Thanks,
Arun

On 1/29/18, 12:27 PM, "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>distribution), or, perhaps, not yet. I think where we are right now is wanting
>to decouple storm-kafka-client from Storm’s release cycle so updates can be
>released more often.
>
>As I mentioned in the vote thread, there are two approaches we could take:
>
>1. Move storm-kafka-client to a new git repo under the purview of the Storm
>PMC.
>2. Leave storm-kafka-client in place, but decouple it from the main
>build/release process so it can be released independently of storm proper.
>
>I lean toward option 2. One downside as Stig pointed out is that it would make
>tagging awkward, but I don’t see that as much of a problem — we could simply
>keep the top-level tag convention “vX.X.X” and add another along the lines of
>“storm-kafka-client-vX.X.X”. Yes, it adds another tag/tag convention, but even
>if we moved all the connectors to another repo and versioned them all
>independently we would have to do the same in that repo.
>
>If we start with option 2, it would make it easier to rollback if for some
>reason we later decided it was’t a good idea. It could also represent a “try
>before you buy” option toward moving to option 1.
>
>The argument I see for option 1 would be a better IDE experience — i.e. you
>would have two separate IDE projects that might make development/testing with
>various versions easier.
>
>I’m open to either approach and would volunteer to do the work to make it
>happen.
>
>-Taylor
>
>> On Jan 29, 2018, at 12:45 AM, Jungtaek Lim <kabh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My idea is basically came from Apache Bahir. (http://bahir.apache.org/) It
>> was for Apache Spark, but Flink decided to migrate their connectors to
>> Bahir so it is also for Apache Flink. They're also maintaining some
>> connectors (I'd say first class support) in their repositories, but not
>> all. I think we could select some of connectors to support as first class,
>> and move out others to Bahir or another storm repository (storm-connectors?
>> storm-externals?).
>>
>> - Jungtaek Lim (HeartSavioR)
>>
>> 2018년 1월 29일 (월) 오후 2:30, Jungtaek Lim <kabh...@gmail.com>님이 작성:
>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> This is initial post to separate out discussion topic from vote thread,
>>> and continue discussing.
>>>
>>> Background of the topic:
>>> 1. Releasing Storm requires huge bootstrapping, and normally takes several
>>> months to release bugfix version. Note that it is not minor version...
>>> Minor version is released per near a year. Connectors are maintained with
>>> same release cadence, which makes connectors also long period to release,
>>> whether it is (implicitly) beta or not.
>>> 2. Most of the change for connectors are not related to Storm core. It
>>> tends to be compatible with all release versions with same major version.
>>> 3. (IMHO) We have too many connectors which we even can't maintain
>>> actively. For example, ES connector couldn't support ES higher than 1.x.
>>> 4. Connectors are having same release version for Storm core, hence newly
>>> added connector will have at least 1.x version which no one would think it
>>> is beta.
>>>
>>> Downside:
>>> 1. Detached connectors can be easy to be forgotten. (easier than current)