I think that the bahir approach makes sense for connectors that don’t fall into
the "first class support” category. I am in favor of moving such lower adoption
connectors and have the interested communities support them with the most
suitable release cycle. Connectors that are idle, such as some examples that
Jungtaek gave, we should consider removing them altogether, especially if they
are so outdated that they may not even work.

Mainstream connectors such as storm-kafka-client should be kept in the Storm
repo. For example, Flink keeps flink-connector-kafka-0.x in the Flink repo.

I am in agreement with Jungtaek when he says: "fixing critical bugs in
storm-kafka-client should trigger release, instead of waiting for Storm core to
have some fixes to be worth to release”. Storm’s release cadence is currently
not very high and one can argue that Storm entirely could benefit from more
frequent releases. If it is sto rm-kafka-client triggering those releases, so
be it. Moving forward I do not expect the storm-kafka-client connector to be
subject to so many changes that it would warrant its own release cycle.

I also would like to highlight that although storm-kafka-client has been the
center of this discussion, as it was mentioned in this
thread<https://goo.gl/VY7QTG>, storm-kafka-client has had a much less rocky
road to stability compared to for example storm-kafka. Therefore it’s worth
evaluating if the challenges that we have faced with storm-kafka-client have
been out of norm for such an important and complex feature, and if they warrant
significant changes in how we do things.

Thanks,
Hugo

On Jan 29, 2018, at 9:18 PM, Jungtaek Lim